You would like to become a part of our Siegen HCI community? Excellent! Here is what you need to know. Please read the information on this page carefully.
Please do not not send anything via post, an application on Unisono is enough.
Please note that inquiries on the status of your application via email cannot be answered; see more below.
The HCI programme is aimed at graduates with a relevant Bachelor degree in Business Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration, Design, Psychology or Sociology or a comparable programme, with a relevant share of at least 60 credit points from the above-mentioned subject areas.
In addition, the Bachelor’s degree must have a grade of 2.5 or better (German GPA system).
The following certificates are recognized for applicants who have not acquired their study qualification at an exclusively English-speaking institution or who have learnt English as their mother tongue:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language) iBT (internet based test) Test with a score of at least 94 points;
- IELTS test with a score of at least 6.5;
- Cambridge B2 First, Grade B (173+ points);
- PTE Academic with a minimum score of 58 points;
- A certificate attesting that English language skills are at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Your proof of language proficiency should not be older than 3 years!
Please note that no hard copies are needed until you arrive in Siegen if admission will be granted.
- A letter of motivation in which you should outline your motivation for applying to our master’s program (maximum two A4 pages or 3000 characters).
- A German or English certification of your degree and current summary of achievements (Transcript of Records) regarding the course of study (Diploma/Bachelor) qualifying you to study this course (qualifications see above). An overall grade of at least 2,5 (German GPA) must be achieved. Please use the Bavarian formula to translate your grade: https://www.tum.de/en/studies/application/grade-conversion-formula-for-grades-earned-outside-germany/
and notice that we have a different scaling in Germany (1=highest grad; 4= lowest grade to pass). If the course of study qualifying you for the Master’s course has not yet been completed, you will need to provide a provisional final grade (if this is not shown in the summary of achievements, corresponding certification will need to be provided by the relevant examination office).
- A documentation of the required knowledge of the English language (see above).
Optional documents (recommended):
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form.
- Portfolio (representation of one’s own personality and competencies).
Please also note that it is obligatory for international students to make sure that studying and living in Germany is financially safe for the two years of your stay. Therefore it is secured by law that you have to create rather a blocked account during your stay with an amount of 853,00 Euro per month, or a declaration of commitment by somebody who can secure the financial necessities. Both possibilities are individually linked to the specific home country.
A national student is a student who:
1. has the German citizenship or
2. has attained Bachelor or similar degree studies in Germany.
An international student is a student who:
1. does not have the German citizenship and
2. has attained Bachelor or similar degree studies outside of Germany.
How the process works:
Please notice that the first step in your application process will be a validation by content by the scientific staff of our chairs.
The second step will be a Skype interview with us to get to know each other.
The third step will be a decision about the general equivalence of your foreign university degree with a regular comparable degree at a German university (formal validation). This decision will be made by our department STARTING.
You can enter our online application platform Unisono here: https://unisono.uni-siegen.de/qisserver/pages/psv/selbstregistrierung/pub/selbstregistrierung.xhtml?_flowId=selfRegistrationRegister-flow&_flowExecutionKey=e1s1&noDBAction=y&init=y
Please make sure you successfully submit your application until the deadline. We cannot review applications that are still in preparation!
In case of technical problems, please contact Unisono support.
In case of other problems or questions, please read the FAQ below first and if you do not find your question answered, please contact your Academic Advisor.
We accept students for winter and summer semester!
Starting in winter semester: May 1st to July 15th
Starting in summer semester: November 1st to January 15th
For example, if your grading system goes from 1 (worst) to 4 (best) and your CGPA is 3,561, then your German CGPA is 1,44. You enter:
The three boxes below serve the purpose to verify the calculation.
Please write in English and try not to exceed the page limit.
We do read motivation letters, and place value on originality, relevance and writing style. While online examples can be helpful for orientation, please do not copy paragraphs or entire letters from the internet, as this leads to disqualification.
- Something you designed
- Something you developed (please only show the end result, no source code)
- Something you researched
- A certificate you earned
- A competition you won
- A reference letter by your professor/employer
If you have a website or another external source where you store your portfolio, you are welcome to upload a document with a link.
What does not go in the portfolio section:
- Source code
- GitHub links
- Complete project or research papers, Bachelor or Master theses. Abstracts are okay.
If you have been excluded after the interview, unfortunately, our admission team has come to the conclusion that the HCI program is not entirely suitable for you at the moment.
If you have questions regarding your rejection, please contact the Academic Advisor. In any case, you are welcome to reapply in the following application round(s).
Please let us know as soon as you have made your decision. Due to technical resasons, you will need to reapply on Unisono and upload your documents again if you are still interested in the programme the following semester and wish to receive a new admission letter. Please do so within the application period!
However, you will be automatically accepted without having to conduct another interview then.