The HCI course of study is intended for bachelor graduates of information systems, applied informatics, informatics or a comparable course of study dealing essentially with software and media design. Students from other courses are welcome to apply but proof of 30 credit points from the areas of software design and/or creative design (including creative media design, interaction design etc.) is essential. The key prerequisite is both the wish and the ability to engage with people in their real-life contexts and to conceive tailor-made systems for them on the basis of situational understanding.
If you hold an international bachelor degree, you need to submit the following documents in order to apply for the HCI program:
- A letter of motivation in which you should outline your motivation for applying to our master´s program. Moreover, we would like to ask you to point out in this letter the qualities that in particular seem to qualify you for our master´s program.
- A German or English Certification of your Degree and current summary of achievements regarding the course of study (Diploma/Bachelor) qualifying you to study this course. An overall grade 0f 2.5 (German scale) must be achieved. Please use the Bavarian formula to translate your grade: http://www.unikassel.de/eecs/fileadmin/datas/fb16/ece/documents/Bavarian_formula_ECE_2012-01-24_01.pdf
If the course of study qualifying you for the Master’s course has not yet been completed, you will need to provide a provisional final grade (if this is not shown in the summary of achievements, corresponding certification will need to be provided by the relevant examination office).
- The documentation of the required knowledge of the English language. (TOEFL IBT (min. 90 Points), IELTS (min. 5.5), Cambridge-Test CAE, FCE (min. B)).
- If required, a performance record of your skills and knowledge regarding design and development (see section”Admission Requirements”).
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form (recommended)
- Employer references if linked to programming and/or design
- Letter of Recommendation from your University
Please note that the first step in your application process will be a decision about the general equivalence of your foreign university degree with a regular comparable degree at a German university. This decision will also be made by the Admission Commission.
Summer term application
Please note that there is no acceptance of hard copy applications.
We also don’t need any hard copies after applying on the online platform.
Please also notice that we can’t give any individual feedback on the current state of your application until doors are closed on January 15 due to the very high amount of applicants. Admissions or rejections will be send out soon after doors are closed.
Application Deadlines for national and international students:
Starting in winter semester: May 1 to July 15
Starting in summer semester: November 1 to January 15
A national student is a student, who:
1. has the German citizenship or
2. has attained Bachelor or similar degree studies in Germany.
An international student is a student, who:
1. does not have the German citizenship and
2. has attained Bachelor or similar degree studies outside of Germany.
Please also notice that it is obligatory for international students to make sure that studying and living in Germany is financially safe for the two years of your stay. Therefore it is secured by law that you have to create rather a blocked account during your stay with an amount of 750,00 Euro per month, or a declaration of commitment by somebody who can secure the financial necessities. Both possibilities are individually linked to the specific home country.