The HCI programme is aimed at graduates with a relevant Bachelor of Science degree in Business Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration, Design, Psychology or Sociology or a comparable programme, with a relevant share of at least 60 LP from the above-mentioned subject areas.
In addition, the Bachelor’s degree must have a minimum grade of 2.5.
The following certificates are recognized for applicants who have not acquired their study qualification at an exclusively English-speaking institution (i.e. not an English-speaking degree program) or who have learnt English as their mother tongue:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language) iBT (internet based test) Test with a score of at least 94 points;
- IELTS test with a score of at least 6.5;
- Cambridge B2 First, Grade B (173+ points);
- PTE Academic with a minimum score of 58 points;
- A certificate attesting that English language skills are at level B2 of the ‘Common European Framework of Reference for Languages’ (CEFR).
If you hold an international bachelor degree, you need to submit the following documents in order to apply for the HCI program:
- A letter of motivation in which you should outline your motivation for applying to our master’s program (maximum two A4 pages or 3000 characters).
- A German or English Certification of your Degree and current summary of achievements (Transcript of Records) regarding the course of study (Diploma/Bachelor) qualifying you to study this course (qualifications see above). An overall grade of at least 2,5 (comma) must be achieved. Please use the Bavarian formula to translate your grade: http://www.unikassel.de/eecs/fileadmin/datas/fb16/ece/documents/Bavarian_formula_ECE_2012-01-24_01.pdf
and notice that we have a different scaling in Germany (1=highest grad; 4= lowest grade to pass). If the course of study qualifying you for the Master’s course has not yet been completed, you will need to provide a provisional final grade (if this is not shown in the summary of achievements, corresponding certification will need to be provided by the relevant examination office).
- A documentation of the required knowledge of the English language (see section “Admission Requirements”).
- If required, a performance record of the 60 credits from the above mentioned disciplines (see section”Admission Requirements”). These skills must have been achieved academically.
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form (recommended)
- Portfolio (representation of one’s own personality and competencies) (recommended)
How the process works:
Please notice that the first step in your application process will be a validation by content by the scientific staff of our chairs.
The second step will be a Skype-Interview with us to get to know each other.
The third step will be a decision about the general equivalence of your foreign university degree with a regular comparable degree at a German university (formal validation). This decision will be made by our department STARTING.
Application phase for summer term starts at 1st of November.
Here you enter our online application platform Unisono: https://unisono.uni-siegen.de/qisserver/pages/psv/selbstregistrierung/pub/selbstregistrierung.xhtml?_flowId=selfRegistrationRegister-flow&_flowExecutionKey=e1s1&noDBAction=y&init=y
Notice that no hard copies are needed until you arrive in Siegen if admission will be granted.
Application Deadlines for national and international students:
Starting in winter semester: May 1 to July 15
Starting in summer semester: November 1 to January 15
A national student is a student, who:
1. has the German citizenship or
2. has attained Bachelor or similar degree studies in Germany.
An international student is a student, who:
1. does not have the German citizenship and
2. has attained Bachelor or similar degree studies outside of Germany.
Please also notice that it is obligatory for international students to make sure that studying and living in Germany is financially safe for the two years of your stay. Therefore it is secured by law that you have to create rather a blocked account during your stay with an amount of 750,00 Euro per month, or a declaration of commitment by somebody who can secure the financial necessities. Both possibilities are individually linked to the specific home country.